Name: Ozzie Smith
Team: San Diego Padres
Value of card: 11 banana peels
Key 1980 stat: 820 days before being traded for Garry Templeton (nice, Padres, nice)
Ozzie Smith was known as "The Wizard" for making magical plays; here are some of his best:
- He dove for a ground ball into the hole, popped up, made the throw to first and realized the infield dirt had turned his uniform the colors of throw-up.
- He sprung into the air to snag a line drive, propelled upward by his magnificent afro.
- He caught a ball that careened off his face, stylishly shaping his sideburns.
- He somehow, beyond all expectations, kept that hat on his head without once falling off for a full game.
- He orchestrated a trade to the Cardinals and won a World Series and made the Hall of Fame.